It stands for Intracytoplasmic sperm injection. ICSI is a major breakthrough in the treatment of male infertility. Due to this procedure it is possible to have a child of your own (Using your own sperm) even if the spermcount is 1 million or less, and also in Azoospermia (obstructive type) wherein sperm can be retrieved from the tests or Epididymisand is used for ICSI.
The process is same till egg retrieval as in IVF.After the eggs are retrieved they are denuded and the embryologist visualizes and picks the structurally normal and fastest moving sperm and injects each sperm into each egg available. After injection they are left in the incubator and checked for fertilization after 48 hrs.
- Azoospermia (Zero Sperm count)
- Oligospermia (Low Sperm count)
- Asthenozoospermia (Poor Motility)
- Teratozoospermia (Too many abnormal sperm)
- Retrograde Ejaculation
- Failed Fertilization at conventional IVF